15 November 2009

Harvest Moon Festival - Tet Trung Thu


When I lived in Germany's most fertile neighborhood, I remember seeing children carrying lanterns in early October, and I thought it was just a precursor to Halloween, tamed down for preschoolers. I was later corrected: it was borrowed from the Asian communities living in Berlin. This year, on a warm Sat. night in early October, I got to experience the full Vietnamese version of the Harvest Moon Festival (also translated as Children's New Year and other variations) in Hanoi's Old Quarter.




Earlier in the evening/afternoon, children had been out with their candle-lit lanterns, but by the time I arrived at the entrance to the night market--a pedestrian-only shopping zone for locals and tourists on the weekends--it was completely overwhelmed with student revelers, decked out in punker wigs, lit-up devil's horns, and other off-the-shelf costumes. Noisemakers, balloons, street food, and more were all extras to the usual shoulder-to-shoulder night. A couple of the temples had programs for kids with songs, gongs, and lanterns. A few groups had the bright idea to form conga lines and race through the masses to clear a path. I eventually waded to the shores of the Old Quarter to wander home. And I never saw the moon, come to think of it.

Click this photo (below) to go to my Picasa album (about 24 pictures):
2009 1003 Harvest Moon Festival


2 Comments:

Blogger bluebonnetinberlin said...

Yea, thanks for the update and pictures! I've been curious, given your Facebook status teasers.

I'm not sure about the Asian link to Martinstag though. It seems to be a tradition in several parts of German-speaking Europe: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martinstag

10:18 AM  
Blogger John said...

Oops, I guess I'm not so sure--I just remember the parents in P'berg going crazy about the Asian connection. Maybe it's just coincidence, and I'm possibly just perpetuating a previous misunderstanding.

--John

(P.S. BlueBonnetInBerlin, who are you?)

12:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home